Welcome to Gloucester’s oldest church building (1806), the home of America’s first Universalist Society founded by Rev. John Murray in 1779.
Our lantern steeple has guided generations of mariners into port as our founders fought for the early abolition of slavery, for women’s rights and separation of church and state as a cornerstone of our democracy.
We are a welcoming congregation, working in the present day for equality of all persons in the certain knowledge of God’s universal love.
The church façade and steeple appear in works by many renowned artists, including Fitz Henry Lane and Childe Hassam, that hang in many museums and private collections. The steeple bell was cast by Paul Revere Sons in 1806..